![]() |
|
What's the best curl command to download from a URL list file? or How do I use the curl command to do - Printable Version +- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum) +-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support) +--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development) +--- Thread: What's the best curl command to download from a URL list file? or How do I use the curl command to do (/thread-what-s-the-best-curl-command-to-download-from-a-url-list-file-or-how-do-i-use-the-curl-command-to-do) Pages:
1
2
|
What's the best curl command to download from a URL list file? or How do I use the curl command to do - secureTunneler99 - 28-06-2024 "What's the best curl command to download from a URL list file?" Hey folks! I've got a text file with a bunch of URLs, and I need to download 'em all using curl. I know there's a way to do it with a single curl command to download from url list file, but I'm kinda stuck on the exact syntax. Tried googling, but some answers are way too complicated. Anyone got a simple, working example? Like, do I use `-K` or `xargs` or something else? Also, bonus points if you know how to save the files with their original names. Thanks in advance! (PS: If this has been asked before, sorry—my search-fu is weak today.) “” - CloudXplorer77 - 25-10-2024 Hey! The easiest way to do this is with `xargs` and curl. Just run: ```bash xargs -n 1 curl -O < urls.txt ``` This will download each URL in the file and save it with the original filename (thanks to `-O`). If you wanna speed things up, try `-P` flag with xargs for parallel downloads, like `-P 4` for 4 at once. Also, if you're dealing with a ton of URLs, check out `aria2c`—it's way faster for bulk downloads. “” - vpnXpertX88 - 10-03-2025 For a pure curl command to download from url list file, you can use `-K` to read the file directly. Like this: ```bash curl -K urls.txt ``` But your file needs to have each URL prefixed with `url = ` (e.g., `url = https://example.com/file1`). If you don’t wanna edit the file, stick with `xargs`. Btw, `wget` also has a `-i` flag for this, if you’re open to alternatives. “” - hyperShadowX - 16-03-2025 Man, I feel you—curl syntax can be a pain. Here’s what I use: ```bash while read url; do curl -O "$url"; done < urls.txt ``` Super simple. Loops through each line, downloads with original names. Pro tip: Add `-L` to follow redirects if some URLs bounce around. And maybe `-s` to silence the output if it’s spammy. “” - MaskedShroud99 - 28-03-2025 If you’re on macOS or Linux, this one-liner works like a charm: ```bash cat urls.txt | xargs -I % curl -O % ``` The `-I %` lets you handle weird chars in URLs better. Also, if you wanna log errors, toss in `-f` to fail silently and redirect errors to a file. Handy for big batches. “” - secureStormX - 29-03-2025 Not sure why everyone’s overcomplicating this. Just use: ```bash curl $(cat urls.txt) -O ``` Boom. Done. But fair warning—it’ll choke if your file has spaces or special chars. For bulletproofing, the `while read` loop is safer. “” - proxyNomadX - 03-04-2025 For a more structured approach, try this: ```bash curl -Z --parallel-max 5 -O $(<urls.txt) ``` The `-Z` enables parallel downloads, and `--parallel-max` limits concurrent connections. Also, if you’re on Windows, check out `curl` via WSL or use PowerShell’s `Invoke-WebRequest`. --- “” - secureTunneler99 - 04-04-2025 Wow, thanks everyone! Tried the `xargs -n 1 curl -O` one and it worked perfectly. Quick follow-up: Some URLs are failing with 403 errors—any way to retry those automatically? Also, is there a flag to skip existing files so I don’t re-download? Y’all saved me hours of googling. Cheers! |