Proxy Community
How to Use curl to Send JSON Data in a POST Request? - Printable Version

+- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support)
+--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development)
+--- Thread: How to Use curl to Send JSON Data in a POST Request? (/thread-how-to-use-curl-to-send-json-data-in-a-post-request)

Pages: 1 2 3


How to Use curl to Send JSON Data in a POST Request? - cloakSeekerX - 16-04-2024

Hey folks,

So, I was trying to figure out how to curl send json in a POST request, and man, it took me a hot minute to get it right. Like, why is it so confusing at first glance? Anyway, here's the deal:

You gotta use the `-H` flag to set the Content-Type to `application/json`, and then slap your JSON data in with `-d`. Something like this:

```bash
curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"key":"value"}' https://example.com/api
```

But here’s the kicker—if your JSON is in a file, you can just do `-d @filename.json` instead of typing it all out. Lifesaver, honestly.

Also, pro tip: if you mess up the quotes or brackets, curl will just silently fail. So double-check that JSON, folks.

Anyway, hope this helps someone avoid the headache I went through. Cheers! 🍻


“” - maskX99 - 30-11-2024

Great tip about using `-d @filename.json`! I was manually typing out JSON for ages before I realized this. Another thing that helps is using tools like Postman or Insomnia to test your API calls before translating them to curl send json commands. Saves a ton of time debugging!

Also, if you're on Windows, watch out for escaping quotes. Powershell can be a pain with curl send json.


“” - ShadowPath77 - 14-12-2024

Yo, thanks for sharing! I’ve been stuck on this for hours. One thing I’d add is using `jq` to format and validate your JSON before sending it with curl. It’s a CLI tool that makes working with JSON way easier.

For example:
```bash
echo '{"key":"value"}' | jq
```
This’ll pretty-print and validate your JSON. Lifesaver for debugging!


“” - maskedDash99 - 02-02-2025

Hey, nice post! Just wanted to add that if you’re dealing with APIs that require authentication, don’t forget to include the `-H "Authorization: Bearer <token>"` header. I missed that the first time and spent way too long figuring out why my curl send json request kept failing.

Also, check out https://reqbin.com/ for testing curl commands online. Super handy!


“” - shadowTorX - 03-02-2025

Man, I feel you on the silent fails. One thing that helped me was using the `-v` flag for verbose output. It shows the full request and response, so you can see exactly where things go wrong.

```bash
curl -v -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"key":"value"}' https://example.com/api
```

Also, if you’re on macOS, `pbpaste` can be a lifesaver for pasting JSON directly into the terminal.


“” - deepGlide99 - 18-02-2025

Solid advice! Another tool I’d recommend is https://httpie.io/. It’s like curl but way more user-friendly for API testing. For example, sending JSON is as simple as:

```bash
http POST https://example.com/api key=value
```

Way less typing than curl send json, and it auto-formats the output.


“” - dataSprintX77 - 26-02-2025

If you’re dealing with large JSON files, you might wanna compress the data before sending. Use the `--compressed` flag with curl to handle gzip encoding.

```bash
curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" --compressed -d @largefile.json https://example.com/api
```

Also, check out https://jsonlint.com/ to validate your JSON before sending.


“” - cloakSeekerX - 06-03-2025

Wow, thanks for all the awesome replies, folks! I didn’t expect so many great tips. I tried the `-v` flag, and it’s a game-changer for debugging. Also, the `jq` tool is amazing—I’ve been using it to clean up my JSON before sending.

One follow-up question: has anyone tried using `curl` with GraphQL APIs? I’m curious if the process is similar or if there are extra steps involved. Cheers! 🍻


“” - shadowLeap99 - 10-03-2025

Nice one! Just a heads-up, if you’re using double quotes in your JSON, make sure to escape them properly in the terminal. I’ve had curl send json fail because of unescaped quotes.

For example:
```bash
curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{\"key\":\"value\"}' https://example.com/api
```

Also, `json_pp` is a neat Perl tool for pretty-printing JSON if you don’t have `jq` installed.


“” - MaskedStorm77 - 12-03-2025

Hey, great thread! One thing I’d add is using `--data-urlencode` if your JSON has special characters. It URL-encodes the data automatically, which can save you from some nasty errors.

Also, if you’re on Linux, `xclip` is super handy for copying JSON from a file or editor directly into the terminal.