Proxy Community
Is curl insecure by default, or are there steps to secure it properly? - Printable Version

+- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support)
+--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development)
+--- Thread: Is curl insecure by default, or are there steps to secure it properly? (/thread-is-curl-insecure-by-default-or-are-there-steps-to-secure-it-properly)

Pages: 1 2


Is curl insecure by default, or are there steps to secure it properly? - CamoKnightX - 11-09-2024

Hey everyone,
So I’ve been hearing a lot about curl insecure by default lately, and I’m kinda confused. Like, is it really that bad out of the box? Or are there ways to lock it down properly?

I mean, I get that curl is super handy for quick stuff, but I don’t wanna be leaving my system wide open, y’know? I’ve seen some folks say you gotta tweak settings, like disabling SSLv3 or forcing TLS 1.2+. But is that enough?

Also, what about certs? Do I need to manually verify them every time, or is there a smarter way? Feels like a lot of work, but I guess security ain’t free, lol.

Any tips or best practices? Or is curl insecure just the way it is unless you go full paranoid mode?

Thanks in advance!


“” - maskedByteX88 - 28-12-2024

Hey! Yeah, curl insecure by default is a thing, but it’s not like you’re doomed. You can totally lock it down.

First, check your curl version—older ones are way worse. Update to the latest if you can. Then, yeah, forcing TLS 1.2+ is a good start. You can use the `--tlsv1.2` flag or set it in your config.

For certs, curl does verify them by default, but you can double-check with `--cacert` to specify a CA bundle. If you’re paranoid, tools like SSL Labs or ssllabs.com can help test your setup.

Also, check out curl’s docs—they’ve got a whole section on hardening. It’s not *that* much work once you get the hang of it.


“” - proxySwift77 - 02-01-2025

Honestly, curl insecure by default is kinda overblown. It’s not *that* bad if you’re just doing quick stuff. But yeah, if you’re dealing with sensitive data, you gotta tweak it.

Disabling SSLv3 is a must—it’s ancient and full of holes. Forcing TLS 1.2+ is smart too. You can also use `--proto` to restrict protocols.

For certs, curl does verify them, but you can add `--pinnedpubkey` to pin certs if you’re extra cautious.

If you’re lazy (like me), check out tools like Postman or Insomnia—they handle a lot of this stuff for you.


“” - TorNomadX - 17-01-2025

curl insecure by default? Yeah, kinda. But it’s not like it’s unusable.

The big thing is updating curl and your SSL/TLS libraries. Old versions are way worse. Then, yeah, force TLS 1.2+ and disable weak ciphers.

For certs, curl does verify them, but you can use `--capath` or `--cacert` to specify trusted CAs.

If you’re scripting a lot, consider using a wrapper like httpie—it’s more secure out of the box and easier to use.


“” - stealthXpertX - 28-01-2025

curl insecure by default is a bit of a meme, but it’s not *that* bad.

The main thing is to update curl and your SSL/TLS libs. Then, yeah, force TLS 1.2+ and disable SSLv3.

For certs, curl does verify them, but you can use `--cacert` to specify a CA bundle.

If you’re worried, check out tools like ssllabs.com to test your setup.


“” - deepSprintX - 21-02-2025

curl insecure by default is a thing, but it’s not like you’re screwed.

First, update curl and your SSL/TLS libs. Then, yeah, force TLS 1.2+ and disable SSLv3.

For certs, curl does verify them, but you can use `--cacert` to specify a CA bundle.

If you’re scripting a lot, consider using a wrapper like httpie—it’s more secure out of the box and easier to use.


“” - shadowGo77 - 22-02-2025

curl insecure by default is a bit of a meme, but it’s not *that* bad.

The main thing is to update curl and your SSL/TLS libs. Then, yeah, force TLS 1.2+ and disable SSLv3.

For certs, curl does verify them, but you can use `--cacert` to specify a CA bundle.

If you’re worried, check out tools like ssllabs.com to test your setup.


“” - cloakFlyX99 - 06-03-2025

curl insecure by default? Yeah, kinda. But it’s not like it’s unusable.

The big thing is updating curl and your SSL/TLS libraries. Old versions are way worse. Then, yeah, force TLS 1.2+ and disable weak ciphers.

For certs, curl does verify them, but you can use `--capath` or `--cacert` to specify trusted CAs.

If you’re scripting a lot, consider using a wrapper like httpie—it’s more secure out of the box and easier to use.


“” - CamoKnightX - 11-03-2025

Wow, thanks everyone for the tips! I didn’t realize how much I could tweak curl to make it more secure. I updated my version and forced TLS 1.2+, which was way easier than I thought.

I also checked out ssllabs.com, and it’s super helpful for testing. Still figuring out the cert stuff, but I’ll try `--cacert` next.

Quick question though—anyone know if there’s a way to automate these settings so I don’t have to type them every time? Like a config file or something?

Thanks again, y’all are awesome!


“” - fantasyGoX - 13-03-2025

Honestly, curl insecure by default is kinda overblown. It’s not *that* bad if you’re just doing quick stuff. But yeah, if you’re dealing with sensitive data, you gotta tweak it.

Disabling SSLv3 is a must—it’s ancient and full of holes. Forcing TLS 1.2+ is smart too. You can also use `--proto` to restrict protocols.

For certs, curl does verify them, but you can add `--pinnedpubkey` to pin certs if you’re extra cautious.

If you’re lazy (like me), check out tools like Postman or Insomnia—they handle a lot of this stuff for you.