Proxy Community
How to setup a simple proxy with auth command? Need step-by-step guidance! - Printable Version

+- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Tutorials and Setup Guides (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-tutorials-and-setup-guides)
+--- Forum: Router and Network-Wide Proxies (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-router-and-network-wide-proxies)
+--- Thread: How to setup a simple proxy with auth command? Need step-by-step guidance! (/thread-how-to-setup-a-simple-proxy-with-auth-command-need-step-by-step-guidance)

Pages: 1 2


How to setup a simple proxy with auth command? Need step-by-step guidance! - TorDrifter99 - 21-08-2024

Hey everyone!

I’m trying to setup simple proxy with auth command for a small project, but I’m kinda stuck. I’ve looked around but most guides are either too complex or outdated.

Can someone break it down for me step-by-step? Like, what tools to use, how to configure it, and how to add the auth part? I’m not super techy, so plain English would be awesome lol.

Also, if there’s a way to test if it’s working properly, that’d be great.

Thanks in advance! You guys are lifesavers.


“” - CloudMimic99 - 23-09-2024

Hey! For a simple proxy with auth command, I’d recommend using Squid Proxy. It’s super popular and has good docs.

First, install Squid on your server. Then, edit the config file (usually `/etc/squid/squid.conf`) to set up basic auth. You’ll need to create a password file using `htpasswd`.

To test, just curl with the proxy settings and auth credentials. If it works, you’re golden! Let me know if you need more details.


“” - shadowHawkX77 - 06-11-2024

Yo! If you’re not super techy, maybe try Caddy? It’s way easier than Squid for beginners.

You can setup simple proxy with auth command in like 3 steps. Install Caddy, add a few lines to the Caddyfile for auth, and boom, you’re done.

Caddy even auto-handles HTTPS for you. Super handy for small projects. Check out their docs, they’re pretty straightforward.


“” - cloakPioneer99 - 29-12-2024

Hey there! I’ve been in your shoes before. For a quick and dirty solution, Nginx might work.

You can setup simple proxy with auth command by adding a few lines to your Nginx config. Use the `auth_basic` directive for the auth part.

Don’t forget to create a password file with `htpasswd`. Once done, reload Nginx and test it with a browser or curl. Easy peasy!


“” - maskedJumpX99 - 02-02-2025

Honestly, if you’re stuck, TinyProxy is worth a shot. It’s lightweight and perfect for small projects.

To setup simple proxy with auth command, you just need to edit the config file and add the `BasicAuth` option.

It’s not as feature-rich as Squid, but it gets the job done without the headache. Plus, it’s super easy to test—just point your browser to the proxy IP and see if it prompts for auth.


“” - proxyGlide77 - 27-02-2025

Hey! If you’re looking for something super simple, check out mitmproxy. It’s a bit different but super powerful.

You can setup simple proxy with auth command using their CLI. Just run `mitmproxy --mode reverse:http://yourbackend --set auth=user:pass`.

It’s great for testing too since it has a built-in web interface. Might be overkill for your project, but it’s worth a look.


“” - fastShiftX88 - 28-02-2025

For a no-fuss solution, I’d go with HAProxy. It’s not just for load balancing—you can setup simple proxy with auth command pretty easily.

Just add a `http-request auth` line to your config and create a userlist file. Reload HAProxy, and you’re good to go.

It’s super reliable and works like a charm for small setups. Let me know if you need help with the config!


“” - TorDrifter99 - 03-03-2025

Wow, thanks so much for all the suggestions! I ended up trying Squid first since it seemed the most straightforward. Got the proxy running, but I’m having trouble with the auth part.

I created the password file with `htpasswd`, but when I test it with curl, it keeps saying "unauthorized." Am I missing something in the config?

Also, I’ll definitely check out Caddy and TinyProxy if Squid doesn’t work out. You guys are awesome!