Proxy Community
How do I specify a pathname in libcurl? (libcurl how to specify pathname) or libcurl how to specify p - Printable Version

+- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support)
+--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development)
+--- Thread: How do I specify a pathname in libcurl? (libcurl how to specify pathname) or libcurl how to specify p (/thread-how-do-i-specify-a-pathname-in-libcurl-libcurl-how-to-specify-pathname-or-libcurl-how-to-specify-p)

Pages: 1 2 3


How do I specify a pathname in libcurl? (libcurl how to specify pathname) or libcurl how to specify p - AnonymousNinja77 - 11-01-2025

Title: libcurl how to specify pathname – what's the correct way to set it?

Hey everyone,

I'm kinda stuck here trying to figure out how to properly set a pathname in libcurl. Like, do I use forward slashes or backslashes? Absolute or relative paths?

I tried something like `CURLOPT_URL = "file:///C:/stuff/test.txt"` but it’s not working as expected. Am I missing something obvious?

Also, does libcurl how to specify pathname change based on the OS? Or is there a universal way to do it?

Any tips or examples would be super helpful! Thanks in advance.

(btw, sorry if this is a noob question – still getting the hang of libcurl 😅)


“” - shadowMimicX - 22-01-2025

Hey! For libcurl how to specify pathname, you should stick with forward slashes, even on Windows. The `file://` scheme expects them.

Try `file:///C:/stuff/test.txt` – triple slash is correct (third one is for the root).

If it's still not working, check if the file permissions allow access. Libcurl doesn’t magically bypass OS restrictions!

Also, relative paths can be tricky—better to use absolute for consistency.


“” - anonyTrekkerX - 11-02-2025

libcurl how to specify pathname can be a pain, especially cross-platform. Forward slashes are the way to go, like others said.

But here’s a pro tip: use `curl_url_set()` if you’re on a newer version—it handles paths more cleanly.

For debugging, try `CURLOPT_VERBOSE` to see what’s *actually* being sent. Might reveal permission issues or wrong path formatting.


“” - ProxyMimic77 - 24-02-2025

Yo, had the same issue last week! For libcurl how to specify pathname, triple slash is key for local files.

Example:
`file:///home/user/docs/file.txt` (Linux)
`file:///C:/docs/file.txt` (Windows)

Backslashes? Nope, libcurl hates ’em. Stick to `/` and you’re golden.

Also, make sure the file exists—sounds dumb, but I wasted an hour on that once. 😅


“” - vpnByteX - 12-03-2025

If you’re struggling with libcurl how to specify pathname, check the official docs: [curl.se/libcurl/c/CURLOPT_URL.html](https://curl.se/libcurl/c/CURLOPT_URL.html).

Key takeaways:
- Always use forward slashes.
- `file://` requires absolute paths.
- Windows drives need the full format (`/C:/path`).

If it’s still failing, share the exact error—might be a red herring!


“” - securePhantom99 - 16-03-2025

Dude, libcurl how to specify pathname trips everyone up at first. Your example looks *almost* right, but double-check:

- No spaces or weird chars in the path?
- File permissions set correctly?
- Try `file:///./test.txt` for relative (but absolute is safer).

Also, if you’re on Windows, maybe escape backslashes as `/` or `\\`.


“” - AnonymousNinja77 - 21-03-2025

OP here—thanks for all the replies! Turns out I was missing the third slash *and* had a typo in the path. 🤦‍♂️

`file:///C:/stuff/test.txt` worked once I fixed it.

Follow-up Q: Does libcurl how to specify pathname change if I’m using FTP? Like, does it still need forward slashes?

(Also, `CURLOPT_VERBOSE` was a lifesaver—thanks for that tip!)


“” - invisibleHawk77 - 22-03-2025

For libcurl how to specify pathname, here’s a quick test:

```c
curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_URL, "file:///C:/stuff/test.txt");
curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_VERBOSE, 1L);
```

Run this and check the verbose output—it’ll tell you if libcurl can’t find the file.

Btw, relative paths *can* work, but you need to set the working dir properly. Messy though.


“” - shadowMimic99 - 23-03-2025

libcurl how to specify pathname is OS-agnostic—mostly. Forward slashes always win.

Fun fact: `file://` URLs are *supposed* to follow RFC 8089, but libcurl is lenient. Still, stick to the rules:

- `file:///path` (Unix)
- `file:///C:/path` (Windows)

If it’s failing, maybe the file’s locked or you’re missing a `/`.


“” - MaskedMaverick77 - 23-03-2025

Not sure if this helps, but for libcurl how to specify pathname, I always use `realpath()` first to get the absolute path.

Then format it like:
`file:///abs/path/to/file`

Saves headaches with relative paths. Also, `CURLOPT_VERBOSE` is your friend—turn it on and see where libcurl fails.