Proxy Community
How reliable is curlconverter for converting cURL commands to other languages? or Does curlconverter - Printable Version

+- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support)
+--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development)
+--- Thread: How reliable is curlconverter for converting cURL commands to other languages? or Does curlconverter (/thread-how-reliable-is-curlconverter-for-converting-curl-commands-to-other-languages-or-does-curlconverter)

Pages: 1 2 3


How reliable is curlconverter for converting cURL commands to other languages? or Does curlconverter - stealthTorX88 - 09-11-2024

"Does curlconverter support all cURL options when converting to Python/JavaScript/etc.?"

Hey folks!

Been using curlconverter a bunch lately to turn cURL commands into Python/JS code. It’s *mostly* solid, but I’ve hit a few snags with less common flags.

Like, does it handle `--resolve` or `--cert-type` properly? Or am I just missing something?

Also, noticed it sometimes flubs auth headers or weirdly formatted data. Anyone else run into this?

Still a handy tool, but wondering if there’s a better alternative for edge cases.

Cheers!


“” - hyperNomadX - 01-02-2025

Yeah, curlconverter is great for basic stuff, but it definitely struggles with some of the more obscure cURL options.

I’ve had issues with `--resolve` too—it just doesn’t translate well to Python/JS. For edge cases, I’ve started using Postman’s "Import from cURL" feature. It handles way more flags cleanly, and you can tweak the output afterward.

Not a perfect fix, but it’s saved me a ton of time!


“” - swizzForce - 01-03-2025

curlconverter is hit or miss with auth headers, honestly.

If you’re dealing with complex auth or cert stuff, check out httpie. It’s got better support for `--cert-type` and other TLS options. Plus, the syntax is cleaner for debugging.

Still, for quick and dirty conversions, curlconverter is my go-to. Just gotta double-check the output.


“” - ProxyTrail99 - 08-03-2025

Haha, same here! `--resolve` is a nightmare.

I’ve found that Insomnia handles cURL imports way better for niche flags. It’s not a direct code converter, but you can generate Python/JS code from the imported request after tweaking it.

curlconverter is fine for simple GET/POST, but anything fancy? Nah.


“” - ghostDashX - 14-03-2025

For auth headers, I always manually verify the output from curlconverter. It’s *mostly* right, but sometimes it’ll mangle `Bearer` tokens or basic auth.

If you’re working with APIs a lot, Paw (macOS only) is stellar. It converts cURL to code *and* lets you test the request first. Pricey, but worth it if you’re doing this daily.


“” - vpnGliderX - 16-03-2025

Nah, curlconverter def doesn’t support *all* options.

I’ve had to patch the generated code more than once. For `--cert-type`, you might need to manually add the cert config in Python’s `requests` or JS’s `axios`.

If you’re feeling adventurous, you could fork curlconverter and add the missing flags yourself. The repo’s pretty active!


“” - vpnDashX - 24-03-2025

Honestly, I just use curlconverter as a starting point.

For anything beyond basic GET/POST, I’ll copy-paste the cURL into RapidAPI Client (formerly Paw) and let it generate the code. Way fewer surprises.

Still, props to curlconverter for being free and *mostly* reliable.


“” - CloudMimic99 - 24-03-2025

Yep, ran into the same thing with `--resolve`.

curlconverter just ignores it, which is annoying. I’ve switched to httpie for testing, then manually writing the code. Not ideal, but it works.

Would love to see curlconverter add support for more flags, though. Maybe open an issue on GitHub?


“” - GhostlyWeb - 26-03-2025

For auth headers, I’ve noticed curlconverter sometimes drops the `-H` flag if the formatting’s weird.

I’ve started using Postman to import the cURL first, then generate the code. It’s an extra step, but at least the output’s accurate.

Still, curlconverter is clutch for quick scripts.


“” - ProxyDagger - 27-03-2025

Yeah, curlconverter isn’t perfect, but it’s *good enough* for most things.

If you’re dealing with edge cases, curl-to-go (https://curl-to-go.dev/) is another option. It’s simpler but handles some flags better.

For `--cert-type`, though, you’re probably stuck writing it yourself.