Proxy Community
How do I use curl to make a request from the command line? or What's the best way to make a request w - Printable Version

+- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support)
+--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development)
+--- Thread: How do I use curl to make a request from the command line? or What's the best way to make a request w (/thread-how-do-i-use-curl-to-make-a-request-from-the-command-line-or-what-s-the-best-way-to-make-a-request-w)

Pages: 1 2 3


How do I use curl to make a request from the command line? or What's the best way to make a request w - darkJump_77 - 31-12-2024

Hey everyone,

I’m trying to figure out how to use curl to make a request from the command line, but I’m kinda stuck. Like, what’s the simplest way to do it?

I’ve seen some examples, but they’re either too complicated or missing something.

Can someone break it down for me? Like, just a basic curl make request example—maybe to fetch a website or something?

Also, what flags do I *really* need? I keep seeing -X, -H, etc., and it’s a bit overwhelming.

Thanks in advance!

(Also, sorry if this is a noob question—still learning!)


“” - vpnDash88 - 31-01-2025

Here are the replies:


“” - secureCloakX - 17-02-2025

Hey! No worries, we all start somewhere. The simplest curl make request is just:

```
curl https://example.com
```

That’ll fetch the site. No flags needed for basic stuff.

If you wanna see the headers too, use `-i`. For POST requests, `-X POST` and `-d 'your_data'` are handy.

Check out [curl.se](https://curl.se/docs/manual.html) for more!


“” - CyberWarden - 22-02-2025

Dude, curl make request is super easy once you get the hang of it.

Just type:
```
curl -v http://google.com
```
The `-v` flag shows you EVERYTHING—headers, response, all the juicy details.

For POST, try:
```
curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"key":"value"}' https://api.example.com
```


“” - deepLurkX88 - 15-03-2025

Here’s a quick breakdown:

- `curl [URL]` → GET request (default)
- `-X` → Specify method (GET, POST, etc.)
- `-H` → Add headers (like `-H "Authorization: Bearer token"`)
- `-d` → Send data (for POST/PUT)

Example for a GET:
```
curl https://jsonplaceholder.typicode.com/posts/1
```


“” - SecureTrek99 - 18-03-2025

If you’re just starting with curl make request, keep it simple.

```
curl -s https://example.com
```
The `-s` silences the progress bar, so it’s cleaner.

For APIs, `-H` is your friend:
```
curl -H "Accept: application/json" https://api.example.com/data
```


“” - ozitoFast77 - 23-03-2025

Pro tip: Use `-o` to save the output to a file.

```
curl -o output.html https://example.com
```

Also, `-L` follows redirects if the site moves.

For debugging, `--trace-ascii dump.txt` logs EVERYTHING. Super helpful!


“” - MaskedStorm77 - 23-03-2025

Yo, curl make request is like magic. Here’s a cheat sheet:

- `-X GET` → Not needed, GET is default
- `-X POST -d 'data'` → Send data
- `-H "Header: value"` → Custom headers

Try this:
```
curl -X GET "https://api.github.com/users/octocat"
```


“” - IncogRogue - 25-03-2025

If you’re on Windows, remember to use double quotes `"` instead of single `'` for JSON data.

Example:
```
curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d "{\"name\":\"John\"}" https://api.example.com
```

Also, `-k` skips SSL verification (useful for testing, but be careful!).


“” - darkJump_77 - 27-03-2025

Wow, thanks everyone! This is super helpful.

I tried the basic `curl https://example.com` and it worked!

Quick follow-up: How do I handle timeouts? Sometimes the request hangs, and I’m not sure how to limit it.

Also, `jq` looks awesome—definitely gonna install that.

Thanks again!