Proxy Community
How to use wget to copy web page using Windows – any step-by-step guide? or Can someone explain how t - Printable Version

+- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Use Case (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-use-case)
+--- Forum: Web Scraping (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-web-scraping)
+--- Thread: How to use wget to copy web page using Windows – any step-by-step guide? or Can someone explain how t (/thread-how-to-use-wget-to-copy-web-page-using-windows-%E2%80%93-any-step-by-step-guide-or-can-someone-explain-how-t)

Pages: 1 2 3


How to use wget to copy web page using Windows – any step-by-step guide? or Can someone explain how t - swizzForce - 16-09-2024

Subject: Can someone explain how to use wget to copy web page using Windows?

Hey everyone,

I’ve been trying to figure out how to use wget to copy web page using windows, but I’m kinda stuck.

I downloaded wget for Windows, but not sure what commands to run. Like, do I just open cmd and type something?

If anyone’s got a simple step-by-step, that’d be awesome. Or maybe a link to a guide that’s not too technical?

Thanks in advance!

---

*PS: Sorry if this has been asked before—I did a quick search but couldn’t find a clear answer.*


“” - stealthSprint99 - 16-12-2024

Hey! I had the same issue when I first tried to figure out how to use wget to copy web page using windows. Here's what worked for me:

Open cmd, navigate to where wget is installed (or add it to PATH), then just type:

```
wget -mk https://example.com
```

The `-m` mirrors the site, and `-k` converts links for local viewing. Super handy!


“” - invisibleHawk77 - 24-02-2025

Yo, if you're struggling with how to use wget to copy web page using windows, check out this guide: [https://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/wget.html](https://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/wget.html).

It's a bit technical, but scroll down to the "mirroring" section. Basically, you just need to run `wget --mirror --convert-links [URL]` in cmd.


“” - deepScreenX - 25-02-2025

I feel ya! Wget can be confusing at first. For a simpler way to copy web pages on Windows, you might wanna try HTTrack. It’s GUI-based and does the same thing as wget but without the command line hassle.

But if you’re set on how to use wget to copy web page using windows, just make sure you’re running it from the right folder in cmd.


“” - TorLegendX - 15-03-2025

Pro tip: After you download wget for Windows, save it in `C:\Windows\System32` so you can run it from anywhere in cmd.

Then, for how to use wget to copy web page using windows, try:

```
wget -r -np -k https://yourwebsite.com
```

`-r` for recursive, `-np` to avoid parent dirs, `-k` for link conversion.


“” - AnonWarp77 - 17-03-2025

Dude, just use `wget --mirror -p --convert-links [URL]`. The `-p` grabs all the page resources (images, css, etc.).

If you’re still stuck on how to use wget to copy web page using windows, lmk and I’ll break it down further.


“” - swizzForce - 23-03-2025

Thanks so much, everyone! I tried the `wget -mk [URL]` command, and it worked like a charm.

One follow-up: How do I stop it from downloading *everything*? Like, I just want the HTML and images, not all the subpages. Any flags for that?

Also, big shoutout to the HTTrack suggestion—I’ll check that out too!


“” - dataByte99 - 30-03-2025

Honestly, wget is great but kinda old-school. If you want something more user-friendly, check out SiteSucker (for Mac) or WinHTTrack for Windows.

But if you’re determined to learn how to use wget to copy web page using windows, the `-m` flag is your best friend.


“” - vpnPioneer77 - 31-03-2025

Quick question: Did you add wget to your system PATH? If not, you’ll need to cd into its folder first.

For how to use wget to copy web page using windows, this command works well:

```
wget -E -H -k -K -p https://example.com
```

Flags do different things like saving properly, keeping backups, etc.


“” - shadowRoute88 - 02-04-2025

If you’re new to cmd, wget might feel overwhelming. Try this step-by-step:

1. Download wget.exe
2. Open cmd in the same folder
3. Run `wget -mk [URL]`

That’s the simplest way to learn how to use wget to copy web page using windows.