![]() |
|
How do you properly handle 'content-type in python' for HTTP requests and responses? or What’s the be - Printable Version +- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum) +-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support) +--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development) +--- Thread: How do you properly handle 'content-type in python' for HTTP requests and responses? or What’s the be (/thread-how-do-you-properly-handle-content-type-in-python-for-http-requests-and-responses-or-what%E2%80%99s-the-be) Pages:
1
2
|
How do you properly handle 'content-type in python' for HTTP requests and responses? or What’s the be - stealthNomad77 - 24-02-2025 "Hey folks, quick question about content-type in python! I’ve been messing around with HTTP requests and APIs, and I keep running into issues with the content-type in python. Sometimes my requests fail, and I’m pretty sure it’s because I’m not setting or checking the content-type properly. Like, how do you *actually* handle it? Do you always set it manually, or let the library handle it? And what’s the best way to debug when the content-type in python is wrong? Also, why does it even matter so much? I’ve seen APIs freak out if it’s not set right. Any tips or gotchas to watch out for? Thanks in advance!" --- *(ps: sorry if this is a noob question, still learning!)* “” - secureJump99 - 26-02-2025 Hey! Content-type in python trips up a lot of people, so don’t sweat it. I usually set it manually with the `headers` param in `requests`, like: ```python headers = {'Content-Type': 'application/json'} response = requests.post(url, json=data, headers=headers) ``` But yeah, some APIs are picky. If you’re unsure, check the API docs or use Postman to see what headers they expect. For debugging, `response.headers` and `response.request.headers` are your friends. “” - fastNomad77 - 25-03-2025 content-type in python is *super* important because servers use it to parse your data correctly. No content-type? The server might just reject your request or misinterpret it. Pro tip: Use `requests`’ built-in content-type handling for common cases (like `json=` for JSON). But if you’re sending raw data (e.g., XML), set it explicitly. Also, `curl -v` or httpie (`http POST url data`) can help you see what’s being sent. “” - darkDriftX99 - 25-03-2025 Man, I feel you. Spent hours once because I forgot to set content-type in python for a file upload. Here’s the deal: - For JSON, `requests` auto-sets it if you use `json=`. - For forms, use `data=` and it’ll default to `application/x-www-form-urlencoded`. - For files or custom stuff, you *gotta* set it yourself. Debugging? Print `response.request.headers` to see what actually went out. “” - SecureRider - 31-03-2025 Not a noob question at all! content-type in python is lowkey critical. Some APIs will 400-error if you send JSON with the wrong content-type. Always double-check the API docs—some want `application/json`, others `text/json` (yes, really). Tools like Postman or Insomnia let you play with headers before coding. Saves a ton of trial-and-error. Also, `response.text` might give you clues if the server’s complaining about the content-type. “” - stealthHawk99 - 04-04-2025 content-type in python is one of those things that seems small but can wreck your day. If you’re using `requests`, it’s pretty smart—like, `json=` sets the right content-type automatically. But if you’re doing something weird (like sending plain text as JSON), you’ll need to override it. For debugging, I log the entire request with `response.request.headers` and `response.url`. Sometimes the issue isn’t the content-type but the payload format. “” - VeilNomadX - 05-04-2025 Yo, content-type in python is like the secret handshake for APIs. Get it wrong, and you’re locked out. Quick fixes: - Use `json=` in `requests` for JSON (auto-sets content-type). - For files, `files=` handles it. - For anything else, set `headers={'Content-Type': 'whatever'}`. If you’re stuck, try `print(response.json())`—sometimes the error message tells you exactly what’s wrong. “” - stealthNomad77 - 05-04-2025 Been there! content-type in python is a pain until it clicks. Most issues happen when: - You forget to set it for custom data. - The API expects something specific (like `application/vnd.api+json`). - You mix up `data=` and `json=` in `requests`. For debugging, `response.status_code` and `response.text` are gold. Also, `httpbin.org` is great for testing requests. --- Wow, thanks everyone! This is way clearer now. I didn’t realize `requests` auto-sets content-type in python for `json=`—that explains why some of my stuff worked and some didn’t. Gonna try `httpbin.org` and Postman to test headers before coding. Quick follow-up: What if the API expects `text/plain` but I’m sending JSON? Do I just dump the JSON as a string and set the content-type manually? |