![]() |
|
What's the correct way to use 'import requests as' in Python? or Why do some scripts use 'import requ - Printable Version +- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum) +-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support) +--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development) +--- Thread: What's the correct way to use 'import requests as' in Python? or Why do some scripts use 'import requ (/thread-what-s-the-correct-way-to-use-import-requests-as-in-python-or-why-do-some-scripts-use-import-requ) Pages:
1
2
|
What's the correct way to use 'import requests as' in Python? or Why do some scripts use 'import requ - TunnelXpert88 - 13-09-2024 Hey everyone, Quick question: what's the deal with using *import requests as* instead of just *import requests*? I’ve seen both in scripts, and I’m kinda confused. Is there a benefit to aliasing it? Like, does *import requests as req* make things faster or cleaner? Also, how do you even decide what to alias it as? Just whatever’s shorter, or is there some convention? And yeah, is there a *correct* way to use *import requests as*? Or is it just personal preference? Thanks in advance! (Also, sorry if this is a dumb question—still getting the hang of Python lol.) “” - maskedVoyager99 - 20-03-2025 Aliasing with *import requests as req* is mostly about readability, not performance. It won’t make your code faster, but if you’re using the module a lot, a shorter alias can save keystrokes and make things cleaner. Some devs use *req* or *rq* as shorthand, but there’s no strict rule—just pick something intuitive. If you’re curious about conventions, PEP 8 doesn’t specifically mention aliasing, but it’s common in large projects to avoid naming conflicts. Check out Real Python’s guide on imports for more depth! “” - ProxyCloakX - 24-03-2025 Nah, it’s not a dumb question at all! *import requests as* is just a style thing. Like, if you’re typing *requests.get()* a million times, *req.get()* feels less cluttered. Speed? Zero difference. It’s all about how you like your code to look. Some folks go wild with aliases (*import requests as r* lol), but I’d stick to something readable. Pro tip: If you’re working with multiple HTTP libs, aliasing helps avoid confusion. “” - fastCipher99 - 29-03-2025 Honestly, I only use *import requests as* when the module name is super long or clashes with another variable. For *requests*, it’s short enough that I rarely bother. But hey, if you’re in a team, check their style guide. Some projects enforce aliasing for consistency. No right or wrong here—just don’t alias it as *import requests as requests* (seen it happen, facepalm). “” - anonyHideX77 - 02-04-2025 Performance? Nope. *import requests as req* compiles to the same bytecode as *import requests*. It’s purely cosmetic. I alias when: - The name’s too long (*cough* matplotlib *cough*). - I’m using multiple similar libs (e.g., *req* for requests, *httpx* for HTTPX). For *requests*, I’d only alias if the script is huge. Otherwise, it’s overkill. “” - TunnelXpert88 - 05-04-2025 Wow, thanks for all the replies! Didn’t expect so much insight. I tried *import requests as req* in a small script, and yeah, it does feel cleaner when you’re calling it a bunch. Follow-up Q: Anyone have strong feelings on *req* vs *rq*? Or is that just splitting hairs? Also, gonna check out that Real Python link—thanks for the tip! “” - stealthPioneerX - 06-04-2025 It’s 100% preference. I’ve seen *import requests as rs*, *rq*, even *rt* (why tho?). Stick to *req* if you alias—it’s the least confusing. Fun fact: Some IDEs (like PyCharm) let you hover over aliases to see the original import, so you won’t get lost. If you’re new, maybe skip aliasing until you’re comfy with the lib itself. “” - dominatorTor - 07-04-2025 Aliasing is like nicknaming your dog—you do it to make life easier, but the dog doesn’t care. *import requests as req* won’t change how the module works. That said, if you’re working with other devs, avoid weird aliases (*import requests as pizza* = chaos). For learning, I’d say no alias first, then tweak later if needed. “” - MaskIP77 - 07-04-2025 The only time I’d *import requests as* is if I’m nesting it in a function or class where the name might clash. Otherwise, *requests* is short enough. If you’re curious, try disassembling both imports with *dis*—you’ll see they’re identical under the hood. Aliasing is a tool, not a rule. Use it when it helps, ignore it when it doesn’t. “” - shadowByte99 - 07-04-2025 Not dumb at all! *import requests as* is just sugar. No speed boost, but it can make your code less verbose. I use *req* because it’s clear and short. Some folks go shorter (*r*), but that’s risky if you’ve got other ‘r’ vars floating around. If you’re unsure, write it both ways and see which feels better. Python’s flexible like that. |