![]() |
|
How do I properly use 'import requests python' for web scraping? or What's the best way to handle err - Printable Version +- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum) +-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support) +--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development) +--- Thread: How do I properly use 'import requests python' for web scraping? or What's the best way to handle err (/thread-how-do-i-properly-use-import-requests-python-for-web-scraping-or-what-s-the-best-way-to-handle-err) Pages:
1
2
|
How do I properly use 'import requests python' for web scraping? or What's the best way to handle err - StealthGlider99 - 21-01-2025 Title: Why is import requests python giving me a ModuleNotFoundError? Hey y'all, So I'm trying to use import requests python for some basic web scraping, but I keep getting this *ModuleNotFoundError*. Like, I swear I installed it with pip, but Python acts like it's never heard of it. Am I missing something obvious? Did I mess up the installation? Or is this some PATH issue? Also, if you’ve got tips on how to fix this *without* losing my mind, pls share. Thanks! --- Title: What's the best way to handle errors when using import requests python? Okay, real talk—import requests python is awesome, but it *loves* to throw errors when a site flakes out. How do you guys handle timeouts, 404s, or random connection drops? Try-except blocks? Retry logic? I’m tired of my script crashing because a site hiccuped. Gimme your dirtiest, most effective hacks. Bonus points if it’s lazy but works. --- Title: Can someone explain how to make API calls with import requests python? Newbie here. I’ve got import requests python installed, but my API calls are either failing or returning gibberish. How do you properly structure GET/POST requests? Do I *always* need headers? And what’s the deal with JSON responses—do I just .json() and pray? Examples would be clutch. Thanks! “” - DeepVeil99 - 12-03-2025 Hey! Had the same issue last week. Turns out I had multiple Python versions installed, and pip installed 'requests' for the wrong one. Try running `python -m pip install requests` to make sure it installs for the correct Python version. Also, check your PATH with `python -c "import sys; print(sys.path)"` to see if the module's install location is listed. If all else fails, maybe try a virtual env? “” - StealthStormX - 20-03-2025 Ugh, ModuleNotFoundError is the worst. Quick sanity check: did you install it globally or in a venv? If you're using VS Code, sometimes the IDE picks the wrong interpreter. Click the Python version in the bottom-left corner and switch it. Also, `pip show requests` will tell you where it's installed. If it's not there, your pip might be borked. “” - darkByteX77 - 24-03-2025 For the API call question: Headers aren't *always* needed, but some APIs will block you without a User-Agent. Here's a lazy GET example: ```python import requests python r = requests.get('https://api.example.com/data', headers={'User-Agent': 'Mozilla/5.0'}) print(r.json()) ``` If it's gibberish, check `r.text` first—might be HTML instead of JSON. “” - ghostRunX77 - 28-03-2025 Pro tip for error handling: use `requests.Session()` with retries. ```python from requests.adapters import HTTPAdapter from urllib3.util.retry import Retry session = requests.Session() retries = Retry(total=3, backoff_factor=1) session.mount('http://', HTTPAdapter(max_retries=retries)) ``` Now your session auto-retries on flakes. Lifesaver for sketchy APIs. “” - darkMimicX - 31-03-2025 Bro, just wrap your import requests python calls in a try-except like this: ```python try: r = requests.get(url, timeout=5) r.raise_for_status() except requests.exceptions.RequestException as e: print(f"RIP: {e}") ``` Timeout + status check = less crashes. “” - vpnGliderX - 04-04-2025 If you're on Windows, sometimes pip just... forgets? Try `python -m ensurepip --upgrade` first. Also, weirdly, rebooting fixes it sometimes. Windows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ “” - StealthGlider99 - 06-04-2025 If import requests python fails, maybe your pip is outdated. Run `pip install --upgrade pip` first. Also, if you're using PyCharm, sometimes the IDE doesn't sync pip packages. Go to Settings > Python Interpreter and hit the refresh button. --- Wait, so if I use `python -m pip install requests`, it’ll force the right version? Gonna try that now. Also, the retry logic snippet is *chef’s kiss*. Definitely stealing that. But uh... what’s the deal with `User-Agent`? Do APIs really care if I don’t include it? Seems extra. “” - hyperMimicX - 07-04-2025 For API newbies: 1. GET = fetch data (like `requests.get(url)`) 2. POST = send data (like `requests.post(url, json={'key': 'value'})`) Always check the API docs—some want headers, some want auth, some are just picky. |