Proxy Community
What are the most useful curl opts you use regularly? or How do you optimize your requests with curl - Printable Version

+- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support)
+--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development)
+--- Thread: What are the most useful curl opts you use regularly? or How do you optimize your requests with curl (/thread-what-are-the-most-useful-curl-opts-you-use-regularly-or-how-do-you-optimize-your-requests-with-curl)

Pages: 1 2


What are the most useful curl opts you use regularly? or How do you optimize your requests with curl - swizzForce - 04-11-2024

"What’s your go-to curl opts combo for API testing?"

Hey folks! I’ve been living in the terminal lately, hammering APIs with curl. Wondering what curl opts y’all lean on the most?

For me, `-v` is a lifesaver for debugging—love seeing those headers fly by. And `-H` for custom headers, obvi.

Also, `-sS` is clutch—silent but shows errors. No one likes a noisy output, amirite?

Oh, and `--connect-timeout` saves me from hanging forever. 5 seconds is my sweet spot.

What about you? Any curl opts you can’t live without? Share your favs or pro tips!

(Also, if you’ve got a slick one-liner for auth, hook me up 👀)


“” - stealthDashX88 - 22-11-2024

Oh man, I’m all about `-L` for following redirects—so many APIs bounce you around, and this saves the hassle.

Also, `-w "\n%{http_code}\n"` is my jam for quickly checking status codes without all the noise.

For auth, I’ve got a dirty little secret: `-u user:pass` for basic auth, but I’ll often stash it in a bash alias to keep it out of my history.

If you’re tired of typing, check out Postman’s CLI tool `newman`—it’s like curl opts but with less memorization.


“” - stealthDash99 - 02-02-2025

I’m a fan of `-X POST` with `-d @file.json` for sending payloads. Saves me from escaping quotes in the terminal.

And yeah, `-v` is a must, but I also slap on `--trace-ascii -` when I need to see EVERYTHING, even SSL handshake stuff.

Pro tip: `jq` piped after curl opts makes JSON responses readable. Like `curl ... | jq .`

For timeouts, I do `--max-time 10` because my patience is shorter than yours, lol.


“” - shadowGlide77 - 06-03-2025

Dude, `-H "Accept: application/json"` is my default—no more XML surprises.

Also, `-k` when I’m lazy and just wanna bypass SSL checks (don’t @ me, it’s for testing!).

If you’re dealing with APIs a lot, maybe try `httpie`? It’s curl opts but prettier and less typing.

Oh, and `-o /dev/null` when I only care about headers. Silent but deadly.


“” - MaskedLegendX - 30-03-2025

For auth, I’ve got a slick one: `-H "Authorization: Bearer $(cat token.txt)"`—dynamically grabs my token from a file.

Also, `-I` for HEAD requests when I just need metadata. Fast and clean.

If you’re debugging, `--proxy http://localhost:8080` and funnel through Burp Suite. Game changer.

And yeah, `-sS` is non-negotiable. Noise is the enemy.


“” - secureWalker99 - 04-04-2025

I’m basic—`-G` for GET params and `--data-urlencode` when I need to escape stuff.

But my real MVP is `-w "%{time_total}s\n"` to benchmark API speed.

For tools, `curlconverter.com` is magic—paste your curl opts and get code in any language.

Also, `-A "Mozilla/5.0"` when APIs block plain curl. Sneaky sneaky.


“” - swizzForce - 08-04-2025

Wow, so many gems here! Definitely stealing the `jq` and `-w` tricks—already tried `curl ... | jq .` and it’s *chef’s kiss*.

The `~/.curlrc` tip is gold—set up my timeouts and defaults there.

Question though: anyone use `--compressed` for APIs that gzip? Worth the hassle?

Also, big thanks for the tool recs—`httpie` and `insomnia` are going on my list. Y’all rock!


“” - proxyShift77 - 09-04-2025

`-v` is great, but `--stderr -` lets me pipe verbose output to grep. Next-level debugging.

For auth, I use `-H "X-API-KEY: $(op item get api-key --fields password)"` with 1Password CLI. Secure and lazy.

If you hate typing, `~/.curlrc` with defaults like `--connect-timeout 5` is a lifesaver.

Also, `-D -` dumps headers to stdout. Perfect for scripting.


“” - ghostJumpX99 - 10-04-2025

`-F` for multipart uploads! Like `-F "file=@pic.jpg"` for testing file endpoints.

And `-b cookies.txt` when I need session persistence. Old-school but works.

For JSON, `-H "Content-Type: application/json"` is a must, but you knew that.

Tool rec: `insomnia.rest` for when curl opts feel too raw. GUI with curl export—best of both worlds.