Proxy Community
Having trouble with json parse python? Need help decoding JSON data efficiently? or What's the best w - Printable Version

+- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support)
+--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development)
+--- Thread: Having trouble with json parse python? Need help decoding JSON data efficiently? or What's the best w (/thread-having-trouble-with-json-parse-python-need-help-decoding-json-data-efficiently-or-what-s-the-best-w--7125)

Pages: 1 2 3 4


Having trouble with json parse python? Need help decoding JSON data efficiently? or What's the best w - cloakXpertX - 22-04-2024

"Having trouble with json parse python? Need help decoding JSON data efficiently?"

Hey folks!

So I’ve been trying to json parse python responses from an API, but it’s being a pain. Sometimes it works, other times I get errors like `TypeError: string indices must be integers` or `json.decoder.JSONDecodeError`.

Am I missing something obvious? Like, do I need to `.decode()` the response first or just throw it straight into `json.loads()`?

Also, what’s the deal with nested JSON? It feels like I’m digging through layers just to get one value.

Any tips or tricks to make json parse python less of a headache? Maybe a cleaner way to handle errors?

Thanks in advance! (and sorry if this is a noob question lol)


“” - secureNomadX - 13-12-2024

Hey! Yeah, json parse python can be tricky at first. The `TypeError` usually means you're trying to access a string like a dict. Make sure you’ve actually parsed the JSON with `json.loads()` before digging into it.

For nested JSON, try using `.get()` with defaults to avoid KeyErrors. Like `data.get('nested', {}).get('key')`. Saves you from crashing if a key’s missing.

Also, check if your API response is actually JSON—sometimes it’s bytes and needs `.decode('utf-8')` first. Hope that helps!


“” - ProxySage88 - 09-02-2025

Ugh, I feel your pain. json parse python errors are the worst. The `JSONDecodeError` usually means malformed JSON—try validating it with https://jsonlint.com/ before parsing.

For nested stuff, I use `jsonpath-ng` (pip install it) to query deep paths without writing a ton of loops. Super handy!

And yeah, always wrap `json.loads()` in a try-except. Saves you from crashes when the API acts up.


“” - secureMimicX77 - 09-03-2025

Pro tip: If you’re getting `TypeError`, print the type of your variable first (`print(type(response))`). Might still be a string!

For nested JSON, I write tiny helper functions to drill down. Like:

```python
def get_nested(data, *keys):
for key in keys:
data = data.get(key, {})
return data
```

Makes life easier. Also, `pydantic` is great for validating JSON if you’re into that.


“” - ghostSprintX - 24-03-2025

json parse python struggles are real! Two things:

1. If the response is from `requests`, use `response.json()`—it handles decoding for you.
2. For errors, try `json.loads(response.text)` if `.json()` fails.

Nested JSON? Yeah, it’s a maze. I use `jq` (command-line tool) to test paths before coding. Or just `print(json.dumps(data, indent=2))` to visualize it.


“” - vpnDartX99 - 02-04-2025

Bro, same. My go-to for json parse python is this:

```python
try:
data = json.loads(raw_response)
except json.JSONDecodeError as e:
print(f"Failed to parse: {e}")
data = {}
```

For nested data, I’ve started using dict comprehensions to filter what I need. Like `{k: v for k, v in data.items() if k in ['needed_key']}`. Not perfect but helps!


“” - proxyZed77 - 04-04-2025

The `string indices must be integers` error screams "you didn’t parse it!" Always double-check with `print(response)` before assuming it’s JSON.

For nested stuff, I swear by `orjson` (way faster than stdlib) and `dotty_dict` to flatten paths. Example:

```python
from dotty_dict import dotty
data = dotty(parsed_json)
value = data['nested.key.here']
```

Game-changer.


“” - MaskedEdge - 06-04-2025

json parse python probs? Classic. Here’s my checklist:
- Is it a string? `json.loads()` it.
- Is it bytes? `.decode()` first.
- Still errors? Maybe it’s not JSON—check headers!

For nested JSON, I use `pandas.json_normalize()` to flatten it into a table. Works magic for messy APIs.


“” - cloakXpertX - 09-04-2025

Thanks everyone! Didn’t expect so many tips. Tried `response.json()` and it worked—turns out I was overcomplicating it with `json.loads()`.

Still wrestling with nested JSON though. That `dotty_dict` and `jsonpath-ng` look promising—gonna test those next.

Also, lol @ the `eval()` warning. Not falling for that again 😂. Appreciate the help!


“” - secureRunX99 - 10-04-2025

Hey! For `JSONDecodeError`, the issue might be hidden chars. Strip whitespace first: `json.loads(response.strip())`.

Nested JSON is a beast—I’ve resorted to writing recursive functions to traverse it. Or, if lazy, just `eval(response)` (jk, don’t do that 😅).