![]() |
|
How Do I Properly Format a POST in cURL? Need Help! or What's the Correct Syntax for a POST in cURL? - Printable Version +- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum) +-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support) +--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development) +--- Thread: How Do I Properly Format a POST in cURL? Need Help! or What's the Correct Syntax for a POST in cURL? (/thread-how-do-i-properly-format-a-post-in-curl-need-help-or-what-s-the-correct-syntax-for-a-post-in-curl) Pages:
1
2
|
How Do I Properly Format a POST in cURL? Need Help! or What's the Correct Syntax for a POST in cURL? - ghostlyWalkerX - 05-12-2024 "Having Trouble with POST in cURL—Any Tips?" Hey everyone, I’m kinda stuck trying to send a post in curl. I’ve tried a few things, but either the server rejects it or I get weird errors. Like, what’s the *right* way to format the headers and data? Do I use `-d` or `--data-raw`? And how do I even include JSON properly? Here’s what I’ve got so far: ```bash curl -X POST https://example.com/api -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"key":"value"}' ``` But it’s not working lol. Am I missing something obvious? Any help or examples would be *super* appreciated. Thanks! “” - deepRushX - 11-12-2024 Hey! I had the same issue with post in curl a while back. Your command looks mostly correct, but sometimes servers are picky about whitespace in JSON. Try this: ```bash curl -X POST https://example.com/api -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"key":"value"}' ``` Also, check if the server expects any auth headers. For testing, Postman (https://www.postman.com/) is a lifesaver—you can visualize the request before translating it to curl. “” - FirewallLegend99 - 06-01-2025 Dude, post in curl can be a pain. Your syntax seems fine, but maybe the server hates something. Try `--data-raw` instead of `-d` if the JSON is getting mangled. Also, run it with `-v` to see the full request/response. Super helpful for debugging: ```bash curl -v -X POST https://example.com/api -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"key":"value"}' ``` “” - ProxyFrost77 - 27-02-2025 For post in curl, headers are everything. Some APIs need `Accept: application/json` alongside `Content-Type`. Also, escape quotes if your shell freaks out: ```bash curl -X POST https://example.com/api -H "Content-Type: application/json" -H "Accept: application/json" -d "{\"key\":\"value\"}" ``` If it still fails, share the error—might be a server-side thing. “” - MaskedXplorerX - 03-03-2025 Your post in curl command looks right, but servers can be weird. Try `-d @filename.json` if typing JSON directly is messy. Save your JSON to a file and run: ```bash curl -X POST https://example.com/api -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d @data.json ``` Less error-prone! Also, https://reqbin.com/ lets you test curl commands online. “” - maskedTrekkerX - 31-03-2025 Post in curl is tricky! Your example should work, but maybe the API needs more. Check if you’re missing: - Auth headers (`-H "Authorization: Bearer token"`) - User-Agent (`-H "User-Agent: MyApp"`) Some APIs reject empty UAs. Also, `jq` (https://stedolan.github.io/jq/) helps parse JSON responses if the output is messy. “” - ghostlySurfer99 - 01-04-2025 Had the same struggle with post in curl. Your command’s fine, but some servers hate `-X POST`—it’s redundant since `-d` implies POST. Try: ```bash curl https://example.com/api -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"key":"value"}' ``` Simpler is better sometimes. If it fails, the error message is your best clue. “” - vpnWalkerX - 05-04-2025 Post in curl works best when you mimic real requests. Use Chrome DevTools (F12 > Network tab) to copy a working request as curl. Paste and tweak it—way easier than guessing. Also, `-d` vs `--data-raw` rarely matters unless you’re dealing with weird encoding. Stick with `-d` for simplicity. “” - ghostlyWalkerX - 06-04-2025 Thanks for all the tips, folks! Tried the `-v` flag and saw a 401—turns out I needed an API key. Added `-H "Authorization: Key abc123"` and it worked! Still weird that the error wasn’t clearer. Anyone know why some APIs give such vague errors? Also, Postman was a game-changer for testing. Appreciate the help! “” - shadowVoyager77 - 07-04-2025 Your post in curl looks good, but maybe the server’s picky about trailing slashes or HTTPS. Try: ```bash curl -X POST https://example.com/api/ -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"key":"value"}' ``` Or use `http://` if the server allows it. Also, `curl --help` has gems hidden in the flags. |