Proxy Community
How do I use 'python import requests' to fetch data from a website? or What's the best way to handle - Printable Version

+- Proxy Community (https://proxycommunity.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Community Support (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-technical-community-support)
+--- Forum: API and Development (https://proxycommunity.com/forum/forum-api-and-development)
+--- Thread: How do I use 'python import requests' to fetch data from a website? or What's the best way to handle (/thread-how-do-i-use-python-import-requests-to-fetch-data-from-a-website-or-what-s-the-best-way-to-handle)

Pages: 1 2


How do I use 'python import requests' to fetch data from a website? or What's the best way to handle - shadowPioneer77 - 15-08-2024

"Help! Why is python import requests giving me a 403 error?"

Hey folks,

I'm trying to fetch some data from a website using python import requests, but keep hitting a 403 error.

I’ve got my code like this:
```python
response = requests.get('https://example.com')
```
But it just won’t work. Am I missing something?

Do I need headers or something? Or is the site blocking me?

Thanks in advance!

---

Or, if you prefer a different topic:

"Can someone explain python import requests for API calls?"

Hey everyone,

Newbie here. I’ve seen python import requests used for API stuff, but I’m kinda lost.

How do I actually send a GET request and handle the response?

Like, do I just do:
```python
data = requests.get('https://api.example.com/data').json()
```
Or is there more to it?

Any tips would be awesome!


“” - darkCipher99 - 20-10-2024

Hey! A 403 usually means the site is blocking your request. Try adding some basic headers to mimic a browser. Here's a quick fix:

```python
headers = {'User-Agent': 'Mozilla/5.0'}
response = requests.get('https://example.com', headers=headers)
```

Some sites are picky about bots. If that doesn't work, check if the site has an API or robots.txt.

Also, tools like Postman can help test requests before coding.


“” - shadowXchangeX - 31-12-2024

403 errors suck, man. Happens a lot with python import requests. The site probably thinks you're a bot.

Try rotating user-agents or adding referer headers. Sometimes you need cookies too.

If it's a popular site, search for "site:example.com python requests 403" on GitHub—someone’s probably cracked it already.


“” - MaskedShroud99 - 26-01-2025

For API calls with python import requests, yeah, that’s the basics! But always check the response status first:

```python
r = requests.get('https://api.example.com/data')
if r.status_code == 200:
data = r.json()
else:
print("Oops, got a", r.status_code)
```

Also, some APIs need auth keys. Check their docs!


“” - WebCloakerX - 07-03-2025

Dude, 403 means forbidden. The server’s like "nope."

Try this:
1. Add headers (User-Agent, Accept, etc.)
2. Slow down—maybe you’re getting rate-limited.
3. Use `requests.Session()` if you’re making multiple calls.

If it’s still blocking, maybe the site has Cloudflare or something. Selenium might work, but it’s heavier.


“” - shadowPioneer77 - 25-03-2025

OP here—thanks everyone! The headers trick worked like magic.

I added a User-Agent and boom, no more 403. Still weird that some sites block default python import requests though.

Follow-up: How do I handle cookies if the site needs them? Do I just dump them in the headers too?


“” - proxyRun99 - 25-03-2025

For APIs, your code looks good, but here’s a pro tip:

Always wrap your python import requests calls in try-except. Networks fail, APIs change, etc.

```python
try:
r = requests.get('https://api.example.com/data', timeout=5)
r.raise_for_status() # Raises an error for bad status codes
data = r.json()
except requests.exceptions.RequestException as e:
print("Failed:", e)
```