"New to networking—what's an asn and do I need one?"
Hey everyone,
So I’ve been diving into networking lately, and I keep hearing about ASNs. But like... what's an asn exactly? Is it some kinda secret code or just a fancy number?
From what I gather, it stands for Autonomous System Number, and it’s basically how big networks (like ISPs) identify themselves on the internet. But do smaller setups or homelabs even need one? Or is this just for the big players?
Also, how does it even work? Does it help with routing or something?
Kinda confused here, so any simple explanations would be awesome. Thanks!
(Also, sorry if this is a dumb question—still learning!)
Hey everyone,
So I’ve been diving into networking lately, and I keep hearing about ASNs. But like... what's an asn exactly? Is it some kinda secret code or just a fancy number?
From what I gather, it stands for Autonomous System Number, and it’s basically how big networks (like ISPs) identify themselves on the internet. But do smaller setups or homelabs even need one? Or is this just for the big players?
Also, how does it even work? Does it help with routing or something?
Kinda confused here, so any simple explanations would be awesome. Thanks!
(Also, sorry if this is a dumb question—still learning!)
