How Does the SOCKS Protocol Actually Work for Proxy Connections? or Is the SOCKS Protocol Still the B

14 Replies, 1254 Views

"Can Someone Explain the SOCKS Protocol in Simple Terms?"

Hey folks, I keep hearing about the socks protocol but tbh, all the tech docs make it sound way more complicated than it is.

From what I gather, it’s basically a middleman for your internet traffic—like a proxy but more flexible. Instead of just handling HTTP stuff (like a regular proxy), the socks protocol can deal with ANY type of traffic—games, torrents, whatever.

It doesn’t mess with your data, just passes it along. SOCKS5 even does UDP, which is neat for stuff like VoIP.

Am I missing something? Why isn’t everyone using this? Or is there a catch?

(Also, why’s it called "socks"? Did someone just really like footwear? 😂)

Messages In This Thread
How Does the SOCKS Protocol Actually Work for Proxy Connections? or Is the SOCKS Protocol Still the B - by - 15-02-2025, 06:12 PM



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)