How to Identify IPv4 vs IPv6 – What Are the Key Differences? or Struggling to Tell IPv4 and IPv6 Apar

18 Replies, 852 Views

Struggling to Tell IPv4 and IPv6 Apart? Here’s How to Identify IPv4 vs IPv6 Easily!

Hey guys, so I was messing around with some network stuff and realized I kept mixing up IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. Like, how do you even tell them apart without googling every time?

Here’s the quick cheat sheet I figured out:

- IPv4 looks like this: `192.168.1.1` (just numbers and dots, super short).
- IPv6 is way longer and has colons, like `2001:0db8:85a3::8a2e:0370:7334`. Sometimes it even has letters!

Also, if you see something with a ton of zeros and colons squished together (like `::`), it’s *definitely* IPv6.

Any other tricks for how to identify IPv4 vs IPv6? I swear I need a sticky note on my monitor for this lol.

(Also, sorry if this is a noob question—still learning!)

Messages In This Thread
How to Identify IPv4 vs IPv6 – What Are the Key Differences? or Struggling to Tell IPv4 and IPv6 Apar - by - 13-05-2024, 06:58 PM



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)