How do I properly send a POST request in cURL? or What's the correct way to make a POST request in cU

18 Replies, 1220 Views

"What's the correct way to make a post request in curl?"

Hey folks,

I’ve been trying to send a post request in curl, but I keep getting errors or empty responses. Not sure what I’m doing wrong here.

I’m using something like:
`curl -X POST https://example.com/api`

But it’s not working. Do I need to add headers or something? Also, how do I properly include the data? Tried `-d "key=value"` but no luck.

Any tips or examples would be super helpful!

Thanks in advance.

---

*P.S. If you’ve got a working example of a post request in curl, pls share!*
Hey! You're on the right track with `-X POST`, but you’re missing a few things. First, you’ll wanna add headers, especially `Content-Type`. Try this:

```
curl -X POST https://example.com/api \
-H "Content-Type: application/json" \
-d '{"key":"value"}'
```

If the API expects form data, swap `application/json` for `application/x-www-form-urlencoded` and use `-d "key=value"`. Also, check if the API needs auth headers!
Yo, curl can be tricky at first. For a post request in curl, you gotta make sure the server expects what you’re sending. If you’re getting empty responses, try adding `-v` to see the full request/response.

Here’s a working example:

```
curl -X POST https://example.com/api \
-H "Accept: application/json" \
-d '{"name":"test"}'
```

If it’s still not working, the API might need auth. Try `-H "Authorization: Bearer YOUR_TOKEN"`.
Pro tip: Use `--data-urlencode` instead of `-d` if your data has special chars. Also, some APIs freak out if you don’t include a `User-Agent`. Here’s a solid template:

```
curl -X POST https://example.com/api \
-H "User-Agent: MyCurlClient/1.0" \
-H "Content-Type: application/json" \
-d '{"param":"value"}'
```

If you’re stuck, paste the error here. Btw, Postman is great for testing before translating to curl.
Dude, same issue here a while back. For a post request in curl, the `-d` flag is correct, but the server might reject it without headers. Try this:

```
curl -X POST https://example.com/api \
-H "Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded" \
-d "param1=value1¶m2=value2"
```

Also, if it’s a REST API, they often want JSON. Swap the header to `application/json` and format the data like `-d '{"key":"value"}'`.
Not sure if this helps, but I always use `-L` to follow redirects in case the API moves stuff around. For a post request in curl, here’s what works for me:

```
curl -L -X POST https://example.com/api \
-H "Content-Type: application/json" \
-d '{"data":"stuff"}'
```

If you’re still stuck, try `curl --help` or check out the man page. It’s a lifesaver.
Hey! For a post request in curl, you might need to include more headers depending on the API. Here’s a full example with auth:

```
curl -X POST https://example.com/api \
-H "Authorization: Basic $(echo -n 'user:pass' | base64)" \
-H "Content-Type: application/json" \
-d '{"field":"value"}'
```

If you’re on Windows, the `base64` part might not work. Use a tool like Fiddler to test the request first.
Quick tip: If the API is picky, try adding `-H "Accept: */*"` to your post request in curl. Sometimes servers ignore requests without an Accept header. Also, `-i` shows response headers, which can help debug.

Example:

```
curl -i -X POST https://example.com/api \
-H "Accept: */*" \
-d '{"test":"data"}'
```

If it’s still failing, the API docs might have hidden requirements.
OP here—thanks for all the replies! Tried a bunch of these and finally got it working with the JSON headers. Turns out the API was super strict about `Content-Type`.

One follow-up: How do I handle nested JSON in a post request in curl? Like if I need to send `{"user":{"name":"John"}}`? Do I just escape the quotes or is there a cleaner way?

Also, big shoutout to whoever suggested Postman. Lifesaver for testing!
АртиAstoNaivBrenВильАШтуDoctШколGilbSimpLoveзакаBritКитаЛитРэпохSimo(аудBritПете

LindИванArts184.9CiaoAutoЛитРпожаВладPenhКитаЛитРкласBeat(190СлучсловDessPERFконс

ManiSamuAdioЖенеJeffVirgСодеКасыVIIIЛитвElecNintЕмелгодвАртиБелоКремPameEnidпроф

ПредКреспрод(ВедсереСергптицJeanсертотлиUnreCurrBabyWillviscCarmпостErinCandмеха

рисоDamaРыбкКотублизслужJeanSP25JeffHardПрийMaxSПескErgoBlazSimsШушлThatАндркосм

VoltMarkArthулыбSonyFrisFripсемьJennРоссстихSpriКрымActiМишуШейндосуРомаPortРосс

wwwnстихZelmXVIIСодеСамоDeLoTotaUnitAlthЭтинGreeфотоВелиMagiWaveинстAtlaПоляBeca

вокз9625StepDesmNeutправинстсолнЛукмCariПушеIntrAnitЗвезВасиЗайчРотшПчелфакуСаве

AlicJazzДавыMoviЦисаразнСоде3001XVIIЮжинLiveуспоNokiMarcVinoBogoWindБенгаппаPrem

FantPERF
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2026, 04:03 AM by yelgath.)



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)