How can I debug HTTP curl requests when the response is empty? or What's the best way to handle authe

18 Replies, 917 Views

"Why is my http curl request failing with a 403 error?"

Hey folks,

So I’m trying to fetch some data with http curl, but keep hitting a 403. No idea why—the URL works in the browser!

I’m using:
`curl -X GET https://example.com/api/data`

Is there some sneaky auth thing I’m missing? Headers? Permissions?

Also, does http curl show more details somewhere? The error’s just "403 Forbidden" and I’m like... cool, but WHY?

Pls help before I rage-quit. 😅

---

*(or, if you prefer one of the othersSmile*

"How do I send JSON data using http curl from the command line?"

Yo,

Trying to POST JSON with http curl but it’s not working. I’m doing:
`curl -X POST -d '{"key":"value"}' https://example.com/api`

Server keeps yelling at me. Am I formatting this wrong? Do I need extra headers?

Halp. 🙏

(Keep it short, messy, and relatable—like a real forum post!)
Hey! 403 usually means the server's blocking you. Try adding a user-agent header—some sites hate bare http curl requests.

Like this:
`curl -X GET -H "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0" https://example.com/api/data`

If that fails, check if the API needs a token or API key. Dev tools (F12) in your browser might show what headers are sent when you visit the URL.
lol yeah 403s are the worst. Could be CORS, auth, or rate-limiting.

Try `-v` for verbose mode in http curl—it’ll show headers and maybe the server’s reason.

Also, Postman’s great for testing APIs before writing http curl commands. Less rage-quit material.
Bro, you’re missing headers. Most APIs want `Accept: application/json` or `Content-Type: application/json`.

For JSON POSTs, do this:
`curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"key":"value"}' https://example.com/api`

If it still fails, the API might need auth. Check their docs!
403? Classic. Some sites block http curl by default. Try mimicking a browser:

```
curl -X GET \
-H "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0" \
-H "Accept: text/html" \
https://example.com/api/data
```

If it works in-browser but not http curl, it’s 100% a headers/UA issue.
OMG THANK YOU ALL! The `-v` flag saved me—turns out the API was redirecting to a login page.

Added `-L` to follow redirects and it worked! Also, the `User-Agent` trick was golden.

Still weird it works in-browser but not raw http curl tho. 🤔 Anyways, crisis averted!
For JSON POSTs, you GOTTA include `Content-Type: application/json`. Also, some APIs are picky about trailing slashes or spaces in the JSON.

Try:
`curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"key":"value"}' https://example.com/api`

Still failing? Use `-v` to see the raw response—might give clues.
Dude, 403 means "you shall not pass" lol.

Try `curl -I https://example.com/api/data` to see headers first. Maybe it’s a redirect or auth wall.

If you’re desperate, Burp Suite can intercept requests to see what’s really happening. Overkill? Maybe. Works? Yes.
http curl’s verbose mode (`-v`) is your BFF here. It’ll show the full request/response, including hidden redirects or auth challenges.

Also, some APIs require `Authorization: Bearer <token>` headers. Check if the endpoint needs a key!
For JSON POSTs, jq is handy for formatting. Also, escape quotes if your shell’s weird:

`curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d "{\"key\":\"value\"}" https://example.com/api`

If the server’s still mad, maybe the endpoint’s wrong? Double-check the docs.



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)