How Do I Properly Configure Types Proxy for Optimal Performance? or What Are the Best Practices to Co

16 Replies, 796 Views

"Struggling to Configure Types Proxy – Any Tips or Common Mistakes to Avoid?"

Hey everyone!

So I’ve been trying to configure types proxy for a project, and man, it’s been a headache. I *think* I got it working, but I’m not sure if it’s optimized or if I’m missing something obvious.

Anyone got tips on how to configure types proxy properly? Like, are there common pitfalls or settings ppl usually overlook?

Also, does the order of config matter? I messed that up once and spent hours debugging 😅

Appreciate any advice—even if it’s just "hey, don’t do X" lol.

Thanks!
Hey! Configuring types proxy can be a pain, but one thing that tripped me up was forgetting to explicitly define the target type. If you’re using something like `ts-proxy`, make sure your config file has the right paths.

Also, double-check your `tsconfig.json`—sometimes the `paths` and `baseUrl` settings clash with the proxy setup.

For tools, I’d recommend checking out `http-proxy-middleware` if you’re working with Node. It’s way easier to debug than rolling your own solution.

Hope that helps!
Ugh, I feel your pain. The order *totally* matters, especially if you’re chaining proxies or using middleware. One time I swapped two lines and spent half a day figuring out why nothing worked.

A quick tip: log the request/response flow if you can. Tools like Fiddler or even `console.log` can save you from pulling your hair out.

Also, avoid wildcard paths unless you *really* need them—they can cause weird conflicts.
If you’re struggling to configure types proxy, you might wanna check out the official docs for your framework (React, Angular, etc.). They usually have a section on proxy setup that’s easy to miss.

Another thing: make sure your dev server is actually picking up the proxy config. Sometimes it caches old settings, and a restart fixes it.

For debugging, `curl` or Postman can help test if the proxy is working before you even touch the frontend.
Bro, same. The biggest mistake I made was not validating the proxy response format. If your backend sends something unexpected, the proxy might just fail silently.

Try adding some error handling in your proxy config—like logging failed requests or timeouts. Also, if you’re using TypeScript, make sure your types align with the proxied data.

`wireshark` is overkill but hilarious if you wanna go deep.
Wow, thanks for all the tips, everyone! I didn’t even think about the CORS or header issues—that explains some of the weird errors I was getting.

I tried simplifying my config like some of you suggested, and it’s way clearer now. Also, `http-proxy-middleware` was a game-changer.

One follow-up: anyone know how to handle websockets with a proxy? Mine keeps disconnecting, and I’m not sure if it’s a config thing or something else.

Thanks again! Y’all saved me hours.
Honestly, the best advice I got was to keep the proxy config as simple as possible. Don’t overcomplicate it with too many rules upfront.

One common pitfall? Forgetting to handle CORS properly in the proxy. If you’re getting weird errors, that’s usually the culprit.

For tools, `ngrok` is great for testing proxies locally with external APIs.
I struggled with this too! The order of config matters *a lot*—especially if you’re using multiple proxies. Always test one rule at a time.

Also, watch out for path rewriting. It’s easy to mess up and end up with 404s.

If you’re using Vite, their proxy docs are surprisingly good. Otherwise, `http-proxy` is a solid choice.
Yo, just went through this last week. The biggest headache was not realizing my proxy wasn’t forwarding headers correctly. Check if `secure: false` is needed for local dev (but obvs don’t use that in prod).

Also, if you’re using a framework like Next.js, their built-in proxy might already handle what you need.

For debugging, `chrome://net-internals` is weirdly helpful.



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)