Need Help Building a Node Website Scraper – Any Tips or Best Practices?

7 Replies, 1804 Views

Hey everyone! 👋

So, I’m trying to build a *node website scraper* (yeah, scraper, not scraper, lol) for a side project, and I’m kinda stuck. I’ve got the basics down with Cheerio and Axios, but I’m hitting some walls with handling dynamic content and avoiding getting blocked.

Anyone got tips or best practices for a *node website scraper*? Like, how do you guys deal with pagination, rate limits, or even CAPTCHAs? Also, is Puppeteer overkill for most scraping tasks, or should I just go for it?

Oh, and if you’ve got any favorite npm packages or tricks for making the scraper more efficient, pls share! 🙏

Thanks in advance, y’all! ✌️
Hey! For dynamic content, Puppeteer is def worth it. It’s not overkill if you’re dealing with JS-heavy sites.

For rate limits, try rotating user agents and using proxies. I use BrightData for proxies, and it’s been a lifesaver.

Also, check out the `puppeteer-extra` plugin for stealth mode—helps avoid getting blocked.

For pagination, I usually write a recursive function to handle it. Works like a charm!
Yo, I feel you on the CAPTCHA struggle. I’ve had some luck with 2Captcha for solving those. It’s not free, but it’s reliable.

For npm packages, `cheerio` is great for static stuff, but if you’re stuck with dynamic content, Puppeteer is the way to go.

Also, don’t forget to add delays between requests to avoid getting blocked. `setTimeout` is your friend here.
Hey there! For a node website scraper, I’d recommend checking out `playwright` as an alternative to Puppeteer. It’s similar but has some extra features that might make your life easier.

For rate limits, I use `bottleneck` to throttle requests. It’s super lightweight and easy to set up.

Also, if you’re scraping a lot of data, consider using `json2csv` to save your results in a more manageable format.
Dynamic content is a pain, but Puppeteer is def the move. I’d also suggest looking into `headless-chrome` if you want more control.

For avoiding blocks, rotating IPs and user agents is key. I’ve used `proxy-chain` to manage proxies, and it works well.

Oh, and for pagination, I usually scrape the “next” button URL and loop through it. Simple but effective!
Wow, thanks for all the tips, y’all! I tried Puppeteer with `puppeteer-extra-plugin-stealth`, and it’s working way better than I expected. Still struggling a bit with CAPTCHAs, but I’ll give 2Captcha a shot.

Quick question though—anyone know if there’s a way to detect if a site is blocking me without getting a full-on error? Like, maybe checking response headers or something?

Also, shoutout to whoever mentioned `bottleneck`—that’s been a game-changer for rate limits. Thanks again, everyone! ✌️
Hey! If you’re building a node website scraper, you might wanna check out `scrapy` (Python) for inspiration. It’s not Node, but their approach to handling pagination and rate limits is solid.

For npm packages, `axios-retry` is great for handling failed requests. And yeah, Puppeteer is worth it if you’re dealing with dynamic content.

Also, don’t forget to check the site’s `robots.txt` to avoid scraping restricted pages.
CAPTCHAs are the worst, lol. I’ve used `puppeteer-extra-plugin-stealth` to avoid them, and it works pretty well.

For rate limits, I’d suggest using `rate-limiter-flexible`. It’s super customizable and easy to integrate.

Also, if you’re scraping a lot of pages, consider using a headless browser pool to speed things up. `browser-pool` is a good npm package for that.



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)