What's the best way to parse JSON in Python? Need help with examples! or Struggling to parse JSON in

18 Replies, 902 Views

"Struggling to parse JSON in Python? Any tips or best practices?"

Hey folks!

I’ve been trying to parse json in python for a project, and it’s kinda giving me a headache. I know the basics, like using `json.loads()` for strings and `json.load()` for files, but I keep running into weird errors.

For example, sometimes the JSON is malformed, or I get encoding issues. Anyone else deal with this? What’s your go-to method to parse json in python without pulling your hair out?

Also, are there any common pitfalls I should watch out for? Like, I heard nested JSON can be a pain.

Appreciate any examples or shortcuts you’ve got! Thanks in advance Smile

(PS: If you’ve got a favorite library besides the built-in `json` module, lmk!)
Hey! I feel your pain—parsing json in python can be a real headache sometimes. One thing that saved me is using `json.decoder.JSONDecodeError` to catch malformed JSON.

Also, for nested JSON, try breaking it down step by step. Like, first load the whole thing, then access layers one at a time.

Oh, and if you're dealing with messy data, check out `demjson`—it’s a bit more forgiving than the built-in module.

Good luck!
Yo, had the same issue last week! The built-in `json` module is cool, but for complex stuff, I switched to `orjson`. It’s way faster and handles encoding better.

For debugging, paste your JSON into jsonlint.com—it’ll show you exactly where the malformed bits are.

Nested JSON? Yeah, it’s a pain. I usually flatten it with pandas (`json_normalize`) if it’s too deep.

Hope that helps!
If you're struggling to parse json in python, try wrapping your `json.loads()` in a try-except block. Super simple but catches most errors.

Also, watch out for trailing commas—they’ll break everything. And if you’re getting encoding issues, maybe add `.decode('utf-8')` to your string first.

For tools, I like VS Code’s JSON validator—highlights errors right in the editor.
Nested JSON is the worst, lol. My trick? Use `pydantic` to model the data first. It validates and parses in one go, plus you get nice autocomplete.

For malformed stuff, `simplejson` is a good alternative—it’s stricter but gives better error messages.

And yeah, always check for hidden chars in your JSON. They’re sneaky!
Pro tip: if you’re parsing json in python from an API, sometimes the response isn’t even JSON—it’s a string pretending to be JSON.

Double-check with `type(response)` before you try to parse it. Also, `requests.json()` auto-parses if the response is valid.

For big files, `ijson` streams the data so you don’t load everything at once. Lifesaver!
Dude, I feel you. My biggest mistake was assuming all JSON keys are strings. Some APIs return numbers as keys, and python’s `json` module freaks out.

Now I always do a `str(key)` if I’m accessing dynamically.

Also, `jq` (command-line tool) is great for testing JSON before you even touch python.
Wow, thanks for all the tips! Didn’t realize there were so many tools to help parse json in python.

I tried `orjson` and it’s way faster like you said. Still running into some encoding issues, but `chardet` seems like a good next step.

Quick question—anyone know how to handle JSON with datetime objects? The built-in module keeps choking on them.

Appreciate the help!
For encoding issues, make sure your file is actually UTF-8. Sometimes it’s UTF-16 or something weird.

`chardet` can help detect the encoding before you parse json in python.

And yeah, nested JSON sucks. I just write helper functions to dig through it layer by layer.
If you’re dealing with messy JSON, try `json5`—it supports comments and trailing commas, which the standard module hates.

Also, logging the raw JSON before parsing helps spot issues.

For nested stuff, recursion is your friend (or enemy, depending on how deep it goes).



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)