What's the Best Way to Screen Scrape Data Without Getting Blocked? or Is Screen Scraping Still Effect

18 Replies, 1602 Views

"What's the best way to screen scrape data without getting blocked?"

Hey folks! I’ve been trying to screen scrape some data for a side project, but sites keep blocking me after a few tries.

Anyone got tips to avoid this? Like, should I rotate IPs, slow down requests, or use headless browsers?

Also, do some sites just *hate* screen scraping more than others? Lol.

Would love to hear what’s worked for y’all!

---

Or, if you prefer a shorter version:

"How do you handle CAPTCHAs when doing a screen scrape?"

Ugh, CAPTCHAs are the worst. Every time I try to screen scrape, I hit a wall of "prove you’re human" nonsense.

Any workarounds? Auto-solving tools? Or am I just doomed to click traffic lights forever?

Pls help before I lose my mind. 😅
Rotating IPs is a must if you're doing heavy screen scraping. I use Bright Data’s proxy network—works like a charm.

Also, slow down your requests! Hitting a site too fast is a surefire way to get blocked. Try adding random delays between 2-10 secs.

For CAPTCHAs, check out 2Captcha or Anti-Captcha. They’re not perfect, but they help.
lol yeah CAPTCHAs are the worst. I gave up on auto-solving and just switched to APIs where possible.

If you HAVE to screen scrape, Puppeteer with stealth plugins helps avoid detection. Some sites are just anti-scraping tho—looking at you, Cloudflare.
For avoiding blocks, headers are key. Mimic a real browser (Chrome/Firefox user-agent) and vary them.

Tools like Scrapy + Rotating Proxies (Luminati is good) make it easier. Also, respect robots.txt—some sites will ban you hard if you ignore it.
Honestly, if you’re hitting CAPTCHAs constantly, you might be flagged as a bot. Try reducing your request rate or using residential proxies.

I’ve had luck with Selenium + undetected-chromedriver for sites that hate screen scraping.
Some sites just *really* hate screen scraping (cough Amazon cough). For those, you might need to use a headless browser with realistic mouse movements.

Check out Playwright—it’s like Puppeteer but better for evasion. Also, rotating user-agents helps a ton.
CAPTCHAs suck, but you can try Capsolver or DeathByCaptcha for auto-solving. Not free, but worth it if you’re scraping at scale.

Also, avoid scraping during peak hours—sites are more likely to flag you.
Wow, thanks for all the tips! Didn’t realize how much headers and request timing mattered.

Gonna try Puppeteer + proxies first. If that fails, I’ll check out those CAPTCHA solvers.

Quick Q: Anyone know if Cloudflare sites are just a lost cause for screen scraping? Or is there a workaround?
If you’re getting blocked, your fingerprints might be too bot-like. Try changing your IP, headers, and even TLS fingerprints.

Tools like Crawlee or Apify help manage this stuff. And yeah, some sites are just ruthless—good luck with LinkedIn lol.
For small projects, just use a VPN and throttle your requests. No need for fancy proxies.

But if you’re doing serious screen scraping, invest in a good proxy service like Smartproxy or Oxylabs. And always—ALWAYS—check the site’s terms before scraping.



Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)