"Which curl Flags Do You Find Indispensable for API Testing?"
Hey folks! I’ve been using curl a ton lately for API stuff, but I feel like I’m missing out on some killer curl flags.
For me, `-v` (verbose) is a lifesaver—seeing headers and full requests helps debug like crazy. And `-H` for adding headers? Non-negotiable.
But I’m curious—what other curl flags do y’all swear by?
Like, `-sS` to silence output but still show errors? Or `-o` to dump responses to a file? Maybe some lesser-known ones like `--compressed` for gzip stuff?
Also, how do you combine multiple curl flags without it turning into a mess? My commands sometimes look like alphabet soup lol.
Spill your secrets! 🚀
Oh man, `-L` (follow redirects) is a must for me. Some APIs love to redirect, and without it, you’re just staring at a 3xx response like… cool, where’d it go?
Also, `-w` with a custom format string is clutch. I dump stuff like `%{http_code}` and `%{time_total}` to track performance.
Pro tip: Combine `-v` and `--trace-ascii` if you *really* wanna see the nitty-gritty. It’s messy but worth it for debugging.
Dude, `-k` (insecure) saves me when dealing with sketchy certs in dev. Not for prod, obv, but when you just need to *move on*, it’s a lifesaver.
Also, `-d @file.json` lets you throw a whole JSON file at an API. Way cleaner than pasting a giant payload in the terminal.
For organizing curl flags, I alias common combos in my .bashrc. Like `alias apitest='curl -sS -H "Content-Type: application/json"'`. Game changer!
`-i` (include headers in output) is my go-to. Seeing status lines + headers + body together makes debugging way easier.
For auth-heavy stuff, `-u` for basic auth is simple but effective.
And yeah, `-sS` is elite—silent but still yells at you when things break.
Tool rec: `httpie` if you want a more human-friendly curl alternative. Still use curl flags for scripts tho.
`-X` is obvious but essential—explicitly setting GET/POST/etc. avoids ambiguity.
Lesser-known one: `--resolve` to force DNS for testing. Bypass load balancers or test new endpoints before DNS propagates.
For readability, I stick to one flag per line. Yeah, it’s longer, but my future self thanks me.
`-F` for multipart/form-data uploads! Needed it for file uploads to an API last week.
Also, `-I` (HEAD request) when you just need headers. Saves bandwidth.
If curl flags get wild, I use Postman to draft the request, then copy as curl. Cheating? Maybe. Efficient? Absolutely.
Wow, didn’t expect so many gems! The `-w` trick for timing and `--resolve` for DNS are gonna save me so much headache.
Definitely stealing the alias idea too—my .bashrc is about to get an upgrade.
One follow-up: Anyone use `--parallel` for multiple requests? Saw it in the docs but not sure if it’s worth the complexity.
Also, httpie looks slick—gonna try that next. Thanks y’all! 🍻
`-w "\n"` to force a newline after output. Tiny thing, but it keeps my terminal from looking like a wall of text.
`-H @headers.txt` lets you load headers from a file. Super handy for complex auth setups.
For combining curl flags, I group related ones (like all `-H` together) and separate with spaces. Not perfect, but manageable.